Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Big Money

While we were waiting for our table at Hot & Hot tonight, this obnoxious group gathered around the bar. They were loud in a showy, we-weren't-popular-in-high-school kind of way, and they were celebrating someone's birthday. It was an odd group: a couple, another girl and guy, and two more random, portly men. I was annoyed that they were blocking the boiled peanuts (boiled p-nuts for you natives) at the bar.

Anyway, one of the portly guys went to pay for the drinks, and he pulled out a wad of hundred dollar bills. A fat wad. I'm talking several thousand dollars, unless he had a bunch of ones underneath. He peeled off a hundred, passed it to the bartender, and then folded over the mound of money and secured it with a green rubber band. Yep, that's right. A rubber band. He even snapped it after the second wrap. Then he stuffed it back in his pocket with a flourish. Seriously. I can't get over it.

5 comments:

Katie B said...

Well, you don't get rich by wasting your money on frivolities like wallets!

I hope it was one of those fat green rubber bands like they put on broccoli at the grocery store.

Leah said...

How was dinner? And Happy Birthday! (to both Stephanie and my grandma)

Stephanie said...

Hey, thanks! Dinner was awesome. I, of course, got shrimp-and-grits, but our waitress talked Sean into this bbq pork shank. It was SO unbelievably good. Not really bbq-heavy. Plus I got some blue crab-and-corn chowder, and Sean got seafood spring rolls. Um, and I got the homemade doughnuts. Oink, oink.

Robin said...

portly? wad of money?

sounds like you were partying with Tony Soprano

Happy Birthday, Stephanie.

Stephanie said...

That would have been the ultimate birthday gift. I would've called Katie for sure!

Thanks!