Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Solicitation

Yesterday I stopped at a gas station by Wildwood (an area down the road from work) before heading over to The Hob to kill time before a party I was going to. I pretty much know to avoid Wildwood after dark, especially Wal-Mart (or during the day, for that matter), but it was only 6:15 and still light out. Besides, I was running on fumes so I really had no choice.

Anyway, as I swiped my debit card, I could hear this lady on the other side of my pump telling some mumbling dude, "No." And then, with an overwhelming feeling of dread, I realized the dude was asking for money. Except he was pretending he wasn't. He approached me next, and his first statement was, "I'm not asking for any money." But he did want me to pump gas into his Buick while he washed my windshield. Okay? Because that's different from flat-out asking, I suppose.

I said no. And I sort of feel bad because he was young and seemed innocent and he really did have a Buick at a pump nearby—and he gave me a "God bless you, ma'am" even after I said no. But I just didn't believe him. What? He got all the to the pump and suddenly realized he was out of gas and money? I don't think so. After he walked away I heard some lady with an accent yelling, "I call the police!" But I didn't see her and I don't know who she was yelling at. The next person the dude approached clearly had a heart, and he got a few dollars.

I clicked off the pump at $15 and drove to the safety of the crafts store. And, yeah, I checked the rearview mirror. Twice.

1 comments:

Leah said...

Scary. I am now really jaded about people asking for money, so don't feel bad. There was a guy who used to hang out in that Wal-Mart parking lot who had the same spiel about being out of gas and there with his family. He has approached Heinz two different times.