Sunday, November 18, 2007

Petaurus Breviceps

Better known as Sugar Gliders, or, Pocket Pets. These are a little bit cute, a little bit creepy. I can't post a photo or I'll be unable to keep my breakfast down. These little things were being sold as pets at The Market this weekend. I'm a little concerned because these animals live for up to 12 years, and they can "glide" (read: fly) around the house. The marketing was geared toward children, and I really think kids would end up hurting these marsupials, although not on purpose. One little girl who was with her grandparents (they had a booth) got two! She was really gentle with them and had them in the little pouch you're supposed to wear. I just don't know.

I was totally shocked when I found out they cost about $400 each too! You do get a discount on pocket pet #2. Go check them out, and let me know what you think: www.loveablepocketpets.com.

5 comments:

Leah said...

Yuck. I'd rather have a bunny.

Katie B said...

Dah! You might as well have a bat for a pet. And I can get those in my attic for free.

Robin said...

It says on the website that it takes up to three months to bond with your pet-until then he bites and hisses.

I bet there aren't too many of them that make it to three months.

Natalie said...

Yuck! Those are about the creepiest things I've ever seen. I don't know if the term "pets" is appropriate.

Stephanie said...

I'm glad you all agree! And they're webbed, just like bats. So gross and creepy!