Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Let Me Address the Fanny Pack

Brooke posted a question in the comments section of the last post, and I feel the need to answer her in an actual post for fear that everyone won't see my thoughts on this subject.

Fanny packs are NEVER EVER a good choice, designer or not. A spade's a spade, so let's call it.

Remember the skinny jeans? They only looked good on, like, 12 people. But fanny packs? Have you ever seen them look "good" on anyone? I think not.

My suggestion: a backpack. It's a more appropriate choice. And it holds more. If you're just toting around money, and you worry about someone unzipping you from behind and running away with all your cash, then get one of those little money things that straps on under your clothes. Now, will you look silly trying to get out your money in public? Sure. But I still think the fanny pack is worse.

Let's get real. Very few women actually need the pooch that a fanny pack adds.

10 comments:

Natalie said...

Good call!

Katie B said...

I agree with you, but did you know that Prada makes a fanny pack? So does Coach! Can Prada and Coach be wrong?

Stephanie said...

Yes! A million times yes! Remember: A spade's a spade. We cannot be ruled by the fashion houses! At least not all the time.

Unknown said...

I'm telling you, this gal was ROCKING the fanny pack. I mean, it was like a commercial. It made me think, "Duh! They're so practical, and they won't hurt your shoulders, AND they look good!" It was weird.

But here's the caveat that really has me convinced not to go there: I have to carry around tons of stuff. If I get one of these "stylish" fanny packs, I'm just going to load it up with too many things. I'd look like a kangaroo toting around a bowling ball.

Stephanie said...

Ahh, yes, the dreaded pooch. And really, if you wear both straps of the backpack--it wasn't cool in high school but was in college--the weight will be evenly distributed and you won't hurt your shoulders.

Leah said...

We wear messenger bags in NYC. Your stuff is easily accessible, and your back isn't all sweaty from a backpack (because we do quite a bit of walking in all weather). Ours are from L.L. Bean. I hope you think this is okay.

Stephanie said...

I think messenger bags are an excellent alternative. Very city chic.

Leah said...

I'm glad I have your approval.

Anonymous said...

Swiss Army also makes a nice messenger bag of canvas so it is less dressy and completely acceptable for everyday use. Mine is grey and quite stylish.

Katie's gay BIL

Anonymous said...

Rob, you are such a fashionista.

Or would it be fashionisto??