Saturday, June 23, 2007

Grown-up Friday Night

I don't have a problem with getting older, I just kind of forget that I'm almost 29. (I do, however, have a problem with crow's feet, but I'm watching closely in my 10x magnification mirror. And when they show up, I'm heading in for a little Botox. I can get past the needle. Don't judge me.) It's hard for me to believe I started college ELEVEN years ago, and I've been out for seven. My 10-year high school reunion has come and gone--a year ago! Anyway, Friday night really reminded me that I'm an adult. Brooke invited a bunch of people over to grill and hang out. She and Louis are living at his parents' house until they move to CA in August, and the 'rents are out of town for a couple weeks, so they have the place to themselves. So here are my observations about why this party was so different from the house party you throw when you're in high school and your parents go away for the weekend.
1. I arrived at a grown-up house in the suburbs with a homemade cake.
2. Instead of wine coolers there was red wine in stemless glasses.
3. More than half of the girls weren't drinking red wine because they are pregnant. (At least I hope this wasn't your high school experience!)
4. Instead of chips and Oreos we ate grilled chicken, salad, tomato tart, and fruit salsa.
5. There was a 3-week-old baby there.
6. The baby's diaper leaked all over my shirt. (Anytime, Scarlett, it was worth it!)
7. We talked about makeup...concealer, not lip gloss.
8. I felt my friend's pregnant tummy and asked what it feels like when the baby kicks.
9. We traded recipe tips.
10. At 9:30 everyone started to leave. Because it was getting late.
But you know what? It was an awesome night with friends and zero boyfriend drama. And I learned the trick for making perfect omelettes. Who wants to be 18 again? Please.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Get past the needle, ha. I want to be there for that Growing up can be fun.

Unknown said...

SOOOO glad your boyfriend didn't give you any drama.